Diamonds in the Ruff CSRA, Inc. is a 501(c)3, non proft organization founded in January 2011, operating under the Happy Tails umbrella. The mission is to raise funds to help local rescue groups with operating costs, to promote the importance of spay/neuter of companion animals and to educate the community in all aspects of animal welfare.
This group rescues, fosters and adopts adult cats and kittens. The majority of these cats are the offspring of feral cats. There is an estimated 40,000 homeless, free roaming cats in Columbia County alone. There is another 30,000 of the same in Richmond County. They practice TNR (trap/neuter/release) in the feral community. This is the practice of trapping a feral cat, sterilizing and releasing back into its colony and manage that colony by monitoring and feeding the cats for life. This is a common practice nationwide. So far, since last fall, they have spayed/neutered, adopted close to 100 cats.
There are many opportunities for volunteers in the organization. A few are:
- Attending adoptions at Peto in Evans held on Saturdays from 11-3. This would include set up and break down of crates, tables, etc. Helping with paperwork as kittens are adopted; cleaning cages; feeding, etc.
- Working at the "kitten orphanage" including cleaning, feeding, playing and visiting with the kittens.
- Helping with fundraisers.
- Website maintenance.
- Marketing/Computer Skills
- Photographing cats/kittens for website
The most important thing that someone can do is to foster a homeless animal. Fostering is a lifeline for a homeless dog or cat and is extremely rewarding.
Contact: Beverly Hixon at firstname.lastname@example.org>