Web Site: The Lydia Project
Phone: (706) 736-5467
The Lydia Project, Inc. is a non-profit organization serving women that was begun by a group of Augusta businesswomen in 2003. The mission of The Lydia Project, Inc. is to provide tote bags to any woman undergoing cancer treatment. The tote bags are a symbolic and visual reminder of prayerful and spiritual support. Each tote is made by community volunteers who cut fabric, monogram, sew and distribute the totes to any woman facing cancer. After the totes are sewn they are filled with inspirational and practical items that have been donated by the Augusta community. Totes are distributed through our agency directly as well as through partnering hospitals, clinics, physicians offices and churches. We have mailed totes as far away as Africa for those in need!
Areas of need: Office volunteers (Shifts vary, we are open from 9-3 M-F), Sewing tote bags (this can be done in your own home!), Creation of public relations materials, Staffing community events, Communicating with recipients and prayer team members.
Items for Our Totes: We distribute approximately 100 totes per month, so these items are consistently needed.
-· Small size hand cream (tube size, 2 – 4 oz)
– Journals inspirational based (5×7 size)
– Hard Candy individually wrapped pieces (peppermint type, lemon drops)
– Pens we put one in each tote
– Clear Packing Tape & Mailing Envelopes (12"x 15 1/2")
– Mailing Labels for a DeskJet Printer (Avery 5160 / 8160)
– Printer Cartridges for a HP DeskJet 772C/HP OfficeJet K60
– Paper Products Coffee Filters (Mr. Coffee), Paper Towels, Tall Kitchen Garbage Bags, Toilet Tissue
Items needed for outreach:
– Inspirational note cards to send notes to women who send in prayer request cards
– Stamps, Stamps, Stamps we place a stamp on each envelope that goes with our prayer request cards as well as sending note cards.
– Lemonade, Coffee, Small Bottled Water to serve our guests when visiting our agency.
– Furnishings: Office Desk 2, Credenza, Bookshelves (Tall & Short), File Cabinet, Area Rug (6" x 9")
– 2 Computers: Windows XP with SP2, 512 mb ram, network card & CD-RW (preferably less than 2 years old)
-Collapsible storage bins will help in transporting items to events